- Permits are mandatory for all noncommercial shrimp fishermen. Permits are available at local Fish and Game offices and at select vendors.
- Lingcod season is closed until July 1 to protect nest-guarding males.
- Cutthroat and Rainbow/Steelhead trout fishing is closed until June 15th.
- Streams remain unseasonably cold for this time of year.
- Fishing for salmon in freshwater is limited this time of year, and Eyak River is your best option for sockeye.
- Cutthroat and rainbow/steelhead trout fishing is closed until June 15 to protect spawning adults.
- Dolly Varden are present in many of the streams throughout Prince William Sound and the Copper River Delta. Use fry/smolt imitation flies or small spinners at lake outlets or stream confluences.
- Trolling for winter kings generally tapers this time of year.
- Hatchery returns to Flemming Spit and the Old Town site in Valdez and Cove Creek in Whittier should start showing up any day now.
- I have had reports of anglers picking up a few king salmon off the Whittier harbor this past week.
- Anglers in Whittier and Valdez should try to troll for king salmon while you are soaking your shrimp pots.
- The presences of killer whales or porpoises will drive salmon to the bottom and make them more difficult to catch.
- Shrimping continues to be great near Whittier and Valdez.
- Don't forget your shrimp permit - everyone needs one.
- Report all suspected shrimp pot theft to your local fish and game office or a state trooper.
- Remember to weight down your trap so that the current won't sweep it away into deeper water.
Area webpage: HYPERLINK "http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/AREAS/PWS/AHPR2PWS.cfm" http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/AREAS/PWS/AHPR2PWS.cfm
Rockfish identification pages: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/2001/html/pdfs/01scrockfish10pdf.pdf
Salmon and trout identification pages: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/2001/html/pdfs/01ayksalmonid.pdf
Sonar estimates/weir counts: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/Escapement/HTML/query.cfm
River levels: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?pacr
Southcentral informational handouts: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/pubs.cfm
Safety in bear country: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_trap/hunting/huntak/huntak14.cfm
Northern pike: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/areas/anch/pikepage.cfm
OEO/ADA statement: http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/oeostate.php