- Fish for Dolly Varden around creek mouths, especially creeks where pink and chum salmon spawn.
- The Dolly Varden fishery has picked up this past week. Fish for Dolly Varden around creek mouths, especially creeks where pink and chum salmon spawn. Dolly Varden will be feeding on salmon fry heading to the ocean. The best time to fish is before high slack tide and through the beginning of the falling tide. Use small silver spoons or spinners. If you are fly-fishing, try a pattern that imitates salmon fry.
- Area lakes will soon be stocked, so check the ADF&G Sport Fish website for stocking updates.
- First Lake should be stocked by the end of this week.
- Northern pike are not native to Southcentral Alaska. Please report the capture of any pike to ADF&G. Do not release any that that you have caught.
Area webpage: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/AREAS/RESBAY/AHPR2res.cfm
Salmon and trout identification pages: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/2001/html/pdfs/01ayksalmonid.pdf
River levels: http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?pacr
Lake stocking: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/Hatchery/Stocking_search/HTML/stock_search.cfm
Maps to stocked lakes: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region2/LAKEMAPS/HTML/LAKEMAP1.stm
Southcentral informational handouts: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/pubs.cfm
Safety in bear country: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_trap/hunting/huntak/huntak14.cfm
Northern pike: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/areas/anch/pikepage.cfm
OEO/ADA statement: http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/oeostate.php